Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Author interview with RJ Craddock

R.J. Craddock, Author
Author Bio
R.J. Craddock was born Ruth J. Harris July 7th, 1983 in Oaka Taumuning, Guam. Ruth is a naturalborn writer and artist. However, she was diagnosed with Dyslexia in grade school. Determined not to let this keep her from her goals, Ruth persevered to overcome her learning disability. It was her
10th grade English Teacher who encouraged her to become a writer. She studied Animation and Media Arts at The Art Institute of Phoenix. She served in the community of The Utah Valley Writers for two years. An obsessive-compulsive reader, Ruth has devoured hundreds of Fiction, Historical Fiction, and Fantasy novels. From her never-ending well of ideas, she has begun dozens of works in progress. Her most recent concept, “The Children of Cain” series, has inspired Ruth to aggressively pursue a career as a published author. May 1st, 2013 her debut novel “The Forsaken” was released in print. Finally, Ruth’s characters can leave the corners of her imagination and live
out their lives through the magic of the printed word. She is dedicating “The Forsaken” to her English Teacher, Mr. Garlan Fitzgerald, and her husband, Jonny Craddock. Her teacher for being the first to truly believe in her gift and her husband for pushing her to strive for greatness in all that she does. Also, she is donating ten percent of all royalties earned from “The Forsaken” to help other Dyslexic children conquer their disability and achieve their goals.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

“The Forsaken”
Sometimes the lost should never be found!
If you have no soul, do your sins count against you? Would you still do the right thing, if you were damned either way? If you have no home, no family and no identity, where do you turn to? What if you possess a talent to control the world with your voice and no one else can? What do you do if a mysterious stranger no one else can see keeps taunting you to use your power for evil? 
Debut novelist R.J. Craddock poses these questions and takes you on a journey in search of the answers in her dark tale “The Forsaken” (366 pgs., tpb, $16.99), book one of six in “The Children of Cain” series. Transcendent Books is pleased to announce the release of "The Forsaken" an adult urban fantasy with a gothic undertone and a hint of mystery. Craddock weaves a beautifully poetic tale with realistic characters, and rich descriptions that invokes an emotional response in the reader. Set in modern times the story is about a young Witch named Gwenevere in search of her forgotten past. Her mother is dead, her home is destroyed. Gwenevere flees from disaster and stumbles into the human world. Unable to speak their language, but capable of reading their thoughts, Gwen acclimates quickly. However, her native tongue is magical giving her the power to control the elements. Misunderstood, orphaned Gwen runs off in search of her own kind, until her dark gifts bring to light horrible truths, forcing her to make a fatal decision. There is no going back from murder.

Thank you for stopping by today and answering questions for my readers.  I appreciate your time today.

         Was your father in the military, is that why you were born in Guam? He was but not at that time. Believe it or not he moved the family to Guam to teach art.
         Have you lived in other foreign countries? If yes, which ones? No, I haven't. Since Guam is a US Territoy, technically I've never been anywhere out of the good old US of A.
         Since your story is fantasy, have you used the tales and superstitions of Guam or other countries as an inspiration for your stories? Not in this particular tale, no. I do have another project that borrows from different folklore all over the world. The inspiration for this series came in part from my religious beliefs and a random daydream.
         How many books do you read in a year/month? Before I had kids I read between 5 - 10 books a month. Now that I'm a stay at home mom and a writer (two full time jobs) I read maybe three books a month. :(
         Do you have a favorite author? Just one, no. I've got a list a mile wide. As far as Fantasy goes my favorites are Robert Jordan, Anne Bishop, and Brandon Sanderson. However, my writing is heavily influenced by classical novelists like Dickens, the Bronte Sisters, and Jane Austen.
         How excited were you when you found out your book was going to be published? I don't think I can describe my feelings in words (funny thing for a writer to say). I've known since I was a child that this was what I was meant to do. I've been writing novels since I was eleven; sadly this is the first one I finished. Finishing a book was amazing; getting it published just doubled my joy and sense of accomplishment.
         It is always good to have a teacher who encourages us.  Have you ever thought to be a teacher and pass on to others what Mr. Fitzgerald passed on to you? I think being a teacher requires a lot of patience. I'm not sure I'd be a good candidate. Although I will be forever grateful to that dear English Teacher for giving me the boost I needed to get where I am today.
         Since you studied animation and media arts in school, do you create your own covers? Yes, I do. I've always been a very visual person, so I've been sketching mock covers for this book for a long time. However, when it came time to make the cover for real, it was still hard to pick one concept. I designed sixteen different covers before I settled on this one.
         Your major character in The Forsaken is Gwenevere, will your next main character be male or will Gwenevere continue in the next book? The series follows Gwen through her life and her journey to discover who she really is. However, Gwen is telelapathic so we do get glimpses into other characters thoughts and feelings. And every book introduces new characters, delving a little deeper into the Fantasy world.
           Do you think you would ever want your story turned into a movie, either for the big screen or for television? Yes. Actually, I've always wanted to be a filmmaker as well. My father has worked in Hollywood since I was seven as a setbuilder. Growing up my Dad always encouraged us to follow in his footsteps, and maybe someday have our own family production studio. Now I'm married to an actor and filmmaker and together we write screenplays. Ultimately, I'd like to adapt my novels into screenplays myself, and maybe direct them. But if I can't direct, then I would love to be a consultant on the film at the very least.
         Who would you want to play Gwenevere?  Why? That's hard to answer; she grows up a lot during the series. If Suri Cruise was an actress I would cast her for young Gwen because she has the look exactly. As far as grown up Gwen I like Mila Kunis, Megan Fox, or new comer Julia Voth.
          Is there anything else you want my readers to know about your writing? I'm not the typical Fantasy novelist. I draw heavily from my own life, my trials, my triumpants, my personality, and so many of my stories are always intense, emotional, and realistic. I write like a classical novelist, so imagine if Charles Dickens wrote Fantasy, that's what my books are like.
"The Forsaken" is available now at www.rjcraddock.com
Transcendent Books
ISBN-13: 978-0615806488
ISBN-10: 0615806481
BISAC: Fiction / Fantasy / Urban Life
To place orders for the book, contact:
Transcendent Books 
1412 s 600 e
Springville, UT 84663
Phone: (801) 687-3546
e-mail: RJCraddockAuthor@gmail.com
URL: www.rjcraddock.com
To arrange a book signing or interview, contact R.J. Craddock at rjcraddockauthor@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment