Saturday, February 13, 2016

New Semester Well Underway

The new semester started one week early this year, because the university decided to give the students the whole week off for Mardi Gras. We will end the same time as usual in May, which is good. Otherwise, it will be a shorter break between spring and summer semesters.

This semester, I am taking English 303, which is British Literature II. It should really be titled British Poetry.

We do have to read Emma by Jane Austen.  I am a JA fan, but not a fan of Emma. Emma, the character, is an obnoxious little toad. I saw the movie with Gwenyth Paltrow as Emma. If that had been my first introduction to Jane Austen, I would not want to read or watch anything else. And in the book, she is more conceited and obnoxious. Jane Austen was right, Emma is a character that only she could love. grr...boo...and hiss...

I have to do an author presentation. The author is Seamus Heaney. He is an Irish author who won the Nobel Prize in 1995. He lived from 1939 to 2013. There will be a post on him later as it gets closer to the time of my presentation in late April.

This class is not as fun as last semester's class but I am still learning stuff.  That is the point of earning a BA in English with a concentration in creative writing.

So, stay tuned, and you will hear more about my journey in earning my BA and about the new story I have started today.

No comments:

Post a Comment